Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Curried Squash Soup



This soup was so good. My husband even liked it and he is such a picky eater.

I halved the recipe. It normally serves 6. Half the recipe served 4 of us and I have leftovers.

Here is the original recipe:

2 acorn squash

4 cups veggie stock or water

2 carrots, cut in chunks

1 onion, quartered (I used red)

1 parsnip, cut in chunks (I didn't have one, so I used an extra carrot)

1 TBSP grated ginger

1/2 tsp ground cardamom

1 tsp sea salt

1 TBSP freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used a bottle of lemon juice)

I always microwave the squash first for 4 minutes to soften. Let the squash cool. Then cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and cut the squash into pieces that will fit in your steamer. Steam for 30-40 minutes, until very soft.

Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil, then stir in the carrots, onion, parsnip, ginger, cardamom, and salt. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are barely tender.

When the squash is soft, scoop out the flesh, stir it into the soup, and simmer for another 10-15 min.

Drain the veggies, reserving the liquid. Transfer the veggies to a food processor or blender and puree them, adding stock as needed. Whisk the puree back into the broth, stir in the lemon juice, and serve hot.

My kids gobbled it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment