Thursday, April 29, 2010

Yakisoba


This recipe is from The Accidental Vegan.

It was cheap and easy and the kids and I loved every bite.

Serves 6

1 pound Asian noodles or spaghetti (I used gluten free rice spaghetti, tastes better actually, lighter)
1 TBSP olive oil (I used safflower)
1 onion, chopped (I used 1/2 of a red onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP grated ginger (I used fresh)
2 carrots, grated
1 small napa cabbage, shredded (I used red because that's what I had in the fridge)
3 TBSP soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2 TBSP rice vinegar
1 tsp raw sugar (I used vegan cane sugar)
(I added a can of drained mandarin oranges just before serving)

Bring a pot of salted water to boil over medium high heat, add the noodles, cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes, until al dente. drain well. (I omitted the salt and cooked for 6 minutes per the packages instructions)

Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-low heat, add onion, garlic, and ginger. Saute for 5 minutes, until onion is soft. Add carrots and cabbage and saute for another 5 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar, and cook for a minute longer.

Remove veggies from wok with slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the sauce. Turn the heat to low and add the noodles. Toss them with tongs or chopsticks for 3-5 minutes, until they absorb all of the liquid. Return the veggies to the wok, toss with the noodles, and serve.

Melissa

P.S. I need a wok if anyone wants to buy me one. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment