Thursday, April 15, 2010

Can a Vegan Eat Chicken?


YES! A vegan CAN eat fried chicken. If it's Morning Star Farms Chikn Strips!

The recipe comes from PETA's Vegetarian Starter Kit.

1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups unbleached white flour (I used whole wheat)
4 TBSP nutritional yeast (optional, but I used it, it's tasteless and such a great supplement for vegans)
3 TBSP yellow mustard.
1/2 cup water
2 TBSP baking powder
1 lb mock chicken (try morningstar farms chikn strips)
3 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I used 2 b/c I was out and it was just fine)

Mix together salt, onion powder, pepper, garlic powder, flour, and nutritional yeast in a deep bowl. In a separate bowl, dilute mustard and the water. Add 1/3 cup of the flour mixture to the mustard mixture and stir. Combine the baking powder with the remaining flour mixture.

Dip chunks of the mock chicken into the mustard batter, then drop into the flour mixture to coat with the desired amount of "crust". Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (or use a deep fryer) and fry until crispy and golden brown, turning as needed.

I challenge you to try this and see how it compares to real chicken. It's actually better tasting. No fatty pieces, no veins, no worrying about sanitizing the kitchen afterwards or cooking it through. Oh, and the best part, no one died for me to stay alive.

I ate so much I feel like I am full from thanksgiving dinner. Delicious. My 11 year old had seconds. My 2 year old said, "mmm".

A shot out to 2 websites.

Both of these are on the plate with the "chicken" and they were delicious.

Quick Sweet and Sour Cucumber Pickles

Curried Acorn Squash

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment