Thursday, April 22, 2010

Pita Sandwich with Flaxy Hummus and Oven-Dried Tomatoes





I made this for dinner tonight. My 11 year loved the tomatoes. I cooked the tomatoes last night because they take so long. The recipe comes from Vegan Lunch Box.

I served it with cucumber spears (I leave the skin on when the cucumbers are organic), lemon soy yogurt topped with thawed frozen blueberries, and sharkies.

When you buy soy yogurt look for the vegan symbol. Some soy brands have hidden dairy ingredients.

I got the sharkies here. They were so good. Better than standard bad for you fruit snacks in most stores.

Recipe for Oven Dried Tomatoes

6-8 medium size plum tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Preheat oven to 250 F
Halve tomatoes and toss with other ingredients.
Place cut side up on a baking dish. Roast until shriveled but not burnt for 3-4 hours. Cool completely and store in an air tight container.

Recipe for Easy Hummus

1 (15 oz can chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
1 TBSP Tahini
2 TBSPs Freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used the bottled kind)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp kosher salt (I used 1/4)
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (optional)

Blend it up in food processor or blender. If it's too hard to blend, add a little of reserved liquid.

Pita Sandwich with Flaxy Hummus Recipe

1/2 piece of white or whole wheat pita bread (I used a whole piece of whole wheat)
3 TBSP Easy Hummus or store bought hummus
1 tsp ground flaxseed
Optional:
sprouts, lettuce or baby spinach (I used baby spinach), Oven Dried Tomatoes, black or kalamata olives (I used kalamata.

Mix hummus and flaxseed. Place an even layer of hummus on bread. Add other ingredients. The author filled the pita bread, I liked making whole sandwiches out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment